Tuesday 17 July 2012

Tips for selling at a boot sale


Boot sales are a great way to make quick money. Here are a few tips for selling at them.
  • The best way to find out about boot sales is through your local newspaper, there is usually always a section dedicated to free time and leisure, and through this you can find out the address, time and price for selling.
  • Boot sales on a Sunday are the best ones to sell at.
  • Make sure you bring a wallpaper table, a blanket or sheet to lay items on and a clothes rail.
  • Try to fill your car up as much as possible, this is to ensure you make the most of paying £12 or however much it is for your pitch. I always fill the car up to the top.
  • I recommend to try and sell with a friend or family member as then you have someone to guard the stall if you want to have a look round or use the toilet. It's also a good idea because it can get extremely busy and you don't want anyone stealing from your stall when your back is turned.
  • Speaking of toilets, they are always gross! So make sure you have gone to the toilet before you leave and if you do need the toilet make sure you bring tissue and some hand sanitiser. A lot of boot sale sellers bring flasks of tea or something but I personally wouldn't recommend it because you'll be peeing 10x an hour. Just make sure you have a small drink and food as boot sale food prices are expensive.
  • Upon arriving at a boot sale you will be bombarded by people tapping on your window asking if you have any mobiles, jewellery, perfumes, electricals etc. They are very annoying and can be quite intimidating.
  • The best time to have a gander round the boot sale is at the beginning once you've set up. This is because it is still quiet and also you will find all the good stuff before anyone else has got to it.
  • Most stalls price their clothing for around 50p/£1.00. Obviously if it's worth more then the price will be a bit higher.
  • One persons trash is another persons treasure. You'd be surprised at what people buy so it's always worth trying to sell it before chucking it in the bin.
  • Bring shoe boxes and put little bits and bobs in. I usually have a few boxes of things that are 20p each which are generally hair clips, keyrings, random things that aren't really worth anything. 
  • Bring some little sticky labels and make some signs to try and draw people in.
  • DO NOT SHOUT PRICES OUT LIKE A MARKET STALL. It puts people off.
  • Make sure you bring enough hangers, plastic bags, plastic sheets incase it rains, paper and pens. Oh and don't forget the spare change, you'll need loads!
  • Don't leave the boot sale early. I never understand why people do this? I stick around till the very end to get my moneys worth. What's the point in paying £12 to sell at a boot sale if you're going to leave halfway through.
Hope these tips help!

5 comments:

  1. These are great tips! Thanks for sharing :) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I once did a car boot and a man tapped on my window and pointed at the tv I was holding. I hadn't even bloody gotten out of the car!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are great tips - I would also suggest making sure you have plenty of change in case too many people try to pay you for a 50p item with a tenner!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are fab tips! I have been trying to look for boot sales in my area, but so far no look. I will have a look in the local newspaper. I love your latest post on your boot sale buys, the hoop skirt is amazing! I recently stumbled across your blog and I LOVE it! I love the layout to the content and everything in between! Your sense of style is just impeccable and your blog is simply the epitome of perfection! I am your newest, most avid follower, I look forward to reading your future posts. I would love it if you could perhaps follow me back too? Have a lovely day!

    Love from, MISSIFFA

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great tips I've been wanting to set up at a boot sale for a while now as I have so many things to sell! x

    ReplyDelete